The settlement of Radium, on the north bank of the Colorado River in Gore Canyon, was established in 1906, when railroad construction of the Denver and Salt Lake Railroad brought in foreign workers, typically Swedes, Greeks, and Italians. After the rail lines were built, livestock was shipped out and vegetables such as potatoes, peas, and lettuce were grown and picked at the last minute so they could be shipped while still fresh.
Originally the land was homesteaded by the Murgrage and Hoyt ranch families. Railroad passenger service during the winter months was scheduled only three times a week each way but even then, couldn’t always get through. Nonetheless, the “Try Weakly Railroad” service was better transportation than anything residents had ever had before.
The name of Radium was suggested by Harry S. Porter because of the radioactivity found in his mine. The nearby Radium Copper Mine was a large copper producer at one time.
Maintainance workers for Union Pacific, current owners of the railroad, are still based at Radium.
Grand County Historical Association Journal, Volume X, A Far Away Corner: The Sheephorn/Radium Blacktail Districts. Egan Printing Company, 1990
Ramona Ruhl, Historic Overview and Historic Resources Inventory of Grand County Colorado. National Park Service, 1993